Nursing Voices

Thursday, July 10, 2008

It's Always the Nurse's Fault: Part II


This is a picture of me and my friend, Night Nurse, poolside in Las Vegas. I’m the one holding the drink. Yeah, in my dreams. Night Nurse and I were planning to take a trip to Las Vegas, but fortunately, things didn’t work out.

My day started out on a sour note. I had been summoned to a meeting on my day off, and the meeting’s outcome was going to determine my future plans. If the meeting went poorly, and I was suspended or fired, my immediate plans included a trip to Las Vegas with Night Nurse, who was also embroiled in this mess. We were going to see Wayne Newton and send our boss a postcard from Las Vegas that said, “Glad you’re not here.” Then, when we got back home, we were going to fill out job applications at McDonalds.


I arrived at the hospital at the appointed time for my execution. I had chest pain as I walked onto my unit, and I could feel my blood pressure going through the roof. Night Nurse walked by me humming, Viva Las Vegas. I shrugged my shoulders and walked back behind the nurses. Then I saw the boss walk in about 5 minutes later. She was carrying a pile of papers along with a huge box of donuts. A death sentence with donuts? Something didn’t add up. My boss said good morning in a singsong voice as she walked behind the nurses station and into the report room. Night Nurse and I followed her into the report room where we were shortly joined by the psychiatrist who was involved in the incident. I took that as a bad omen. He really looked pissed off when he sat down next to me at the table.


Things got weird really fast. First, the boss turned our private meeting into a general staff meeting. She threw open the door to the report room and cracked open the box of donuts. She used the donuts to entice the other nurses into the meeting. The boss looked bright and cheerful. The psychiatrist looked homicidal. The boss reviewed the restraint and seclusion policies, asked if we had any questions, and quickly adjourned the meeting. The psychiatrist abruptly stood up and stormed out of the room. When everyone had left the room, I leaned over the table and asked my boss, off the record, what had just happened. She said that I wasn’t in trouble, adding, “The hospital is backing the nurses.” Then she told me that the hospital is dealing with “the problem.” Judging by his demeanor, the problem had been sitting beside me in the meeting.

Night Nurse and I went to Bob Evans after the meeting. We had made prior arrangements to meet there so we could plan out our Las Vegas excursion. Instead, we used the time to discuss the historical event that had just taken place at our hospital. People, mark this day on your calendar. On July 9, 2008, a hospital sided with a small group of nurses and put a nasty little doctor in his place.


So much for Las Vegas. I guess Night Nurse and I will have to see Wayne Newton some other time.

23 Comments:

Blogger Albinoblackbear said...

HOORAY!!!! Is this a first in the annals of nursing history???

Good for you. And good for your boss.

So glad to hear this was how it went. Clearly they realize the commodity that is Nurse Ratched.

I think you ought to go to Vegas anyway to celebrate! :)

3:56 PM  
Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

I cannot even begin to tell you how happy this makes me. I'm so glad your management sided with you.

4:59 PM  
Blogger ButtercupRN said...

Dang! Vegas would have been so fun but if you have to settle it might as well be for THE FIRST TIME A HOSPITALS BACKED NURSES AGAINST A DOCTOR!! Whoo hoo! I am so glad to hear that,it gives me hope.
WTG MJ!

5:56 PM  
Blogger therapeutic_bipolar said...

Nurses sure do put up alot of crap for what little compesation they recieve. Most nurses are very supportive of me when I come into the ER after competing (kickboxing) or the occasional training injury that may send me to the ER on occasion. Some of the most compassionate and caring people I have met we're nurses. In my sport getting injured is inevitable, but its just like any other sport. Being mentally ill myself (bipolar disorder) I began kickboxing for therapy and it has really been great for me. As odd as it may sound, I find it very therapeutic. It really has helped me stablize my moods and lose alot of weight.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Amrita said...

hurray good for you Babes.

That pool side photo is great. did you enjoy the donuts.

11:26 PM  
Blogger scalpel said...

It's nice when things turn out as they should.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Nervus Rex said...

WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!

Ring Ring
"Is Dr. Psycho Anal Eyes available?"
"No, he's a bit tied up at the moment"

Phew. Another bullet dodged in the line of duty! Yay for your boss for standing up for you!!!

11:57 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

This is absolutely amazing! It must be an all-time world record.

I am so pleased for you (and you really ought to plan a trip to Las Vegas as soon as you can manage.)

5:43 AM  
Blogger Ken Wedding said...

Hooray from the peanut gallery.

You ought to get a trip to Vegas as a prize, but institutional support on this one might be a good substitute.

Keep on doing... Please, we need you.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Jeremiah said...

How awesome!!

I only wished our hospital sided with our nurses! I got written up by a doctor for discussing code status with my patients loved ones, mind you the patient was on death's door (and coded 12 hours later).

I thought that was part of a nurses job, but you just never know.

12:30 PM  
Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

Remarkable.

Your hopeful plans for the future were cruelly dashed by management backing you up....

Will they stop at nothing to thwart you?

Seriously, congratulations. It looks like you've won a splendid victory.

1:10 PM  
Blogger GuitarGirlRN said...

congrats! I think a trip to Vegas is in order anyway, seeing as how you seem to be on a lucky streak.

Although RNs getting the support of management shouldn't take luck.

Good for you!!

1:26 PM  
Blogger naughty said...

Curmudgeon, you crack me up!
MJ, thanks for being the first troop through when the door is "cracked". You were willing to take the first blow and aid your comrades. Well done.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

You made quite an impression there!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

OMG!!! are you sure you're not dreaming? Hospitals never back nurses.
Way to go and a yeah for your hospital too.
Deb RN

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool..... I'm really relieved and happy for you. Now go for that trip as a celebration event!

4:14 PM  
Blogger My Own Woman said...

Oh yeah....you go girl!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow,managment sided with the nurses,holy crap!!!!Congratulations

6:16 PM  
Blogger MOJITOGIRL said...

UNN.........BELIEVABLE!!!

Congratulations! And a rectal ECT for your doc, who certainly will be a joy to work with from now on.

Savor the victory, I know the blog community does!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

I am so glad that you got the support you needed and deserved. Hope your heart pains are gone, your BP is down, and you are breathing easier. You will love Vegas when you get there. :)

1:46 PM  
Blogger SClubBethan said...

Good on you and your hospital for backing you up. We need more nurses like you to stand up against doctors. I agree with the first poster- go to Vegas anyway;)

2:06 PM  
Blogger Rogue Medic said...

It is good that the hospital stood up for someone for doing the right thing and did not encourage the misbehavior that the doctor appeared to be trying to get away with.

Congratulations.

1:01 AM  
Blogger NewGradNurse said...

good for you!

And next time you see those chicks in the photo, pass them a pork chop or something b/c they look awful hungry.


www.callacode.blogspot.com

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home