Nursing Voices

Friday, July 25, 2008

Email From Mother: Mechanics vs. Cardiologists


Meet three eminent heart surgeons: Dr. Michael DeBakey (center), Dr. Christian Barnard (left), and Dr. Adrian Kantrowitz . These guys are medical pioneers. I wonder if they all hung out together on their time off. There is a brotherhood/sisterhood among cardiologists. They routinely save lives, and I think that experience draws them together into a tight community.

My mom sent me this email about a cardiologist, a mechanic, and a car engine. Enjoy reading it, and have a nice weekend.


A mechanic was removing a cylinder head from the motor of a Dodge SRT-4 when he spotted a well-known cardiologist in his shop, who was waiting for the service manager to take a look at his car. The mechanic shouted across the garage, 'Hey Doc, want to take a look at this?' The cardiologist, a bit surprised, walked over to where the mechanic was working on the SRT.

The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag, and asked, 'So, Doc, look at this engine. I open its heart, take the valves out, repair any damage, and then put them back in, and when I finish, it works just like new. So how come I make $39,675 a year, a pretty small salary, and you get the really big bucks, $1,695,759, when you and I are doing basically the same work?' The cardiologist paused, smiled, and leaned over, then whispered to the mechanic

'Try doing it with the engine running.'

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent response my good man.

8:09 PM  
Blogger jbwritergirl said...

That's funny.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Albinoblackbear said...

I actually worked with an emerg doc who was a heavy duty mechanic before going back to become a physician.

I remarked one day that it was quite the career shift to which he replied:

"In fact it was very similar to what I do now. People would come in with a complaint about their car, I'd ask them how long it had been going on for, when it started, what made it better, what made it worse, if they'd had any work done on it for a similar thing in the past..."

An accurate parallel I don't think I would have made. :)

8:22 PM  
Blogger Forgotten Blue Line said...

Checking out your blog, and just wanted to let you know I made my last post today.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Somenurse said...

I love it! Great analogy!

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home