Nursing Voices

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Change of Shift with Nurse Chapel

Greetings from the U.S.S. Enterprise. I’m Nurse Chapel, and welcome to Change of Shift. I was really honored when MJ asked me to serve as host. She and I go way back together. I became curious about what it was like to be a nurse in the 20th century, so I did a little time traveling when MJ was in nursing school. She really freaked out when I beamed into her dormitory room, but that’s another story. She showed me around her school and her hospital when she finally calmed down, and we've been best friends ever since. MJ wrote this post about me. I'm really flattered.

Before we get started, I would like to make an appeal for one of our own. Dawn from Overactive Imagination needs our help. She is running out of time to pay her tuition. Check out her post and let's help her out.


I learned a lot of things when I traveled back into time. Times may change, but the nurse-patient relationship remains the same. Some of our patients make us laugh, some make us cry, while others make us want to pull our hair out. I’ve taken care of patients from across the galaxy. Take this fellow at the harpsichord. Mr. Flamboyance was one of my favorite patients. I wish I could tell you more about his case, but galactic HIPPA laws curtail me from discussing his case. Let’s just say that I’ve never laughed so much in my life. All nurses have stories about their most memorable patients. Jennifer from The Nurse Practitioner's Place won't allow patients to manipulate her into giving them drugs. Read her post, "Not Even When Pigs Fly".

Mike Pringle from Healthcare Today presents this post about caring for patients who will stick in his mind forever. Unfortunately, he will remember them because they weren't very nice. Read his post, All in a Day's Work.


Here are two of my shipmates, Captain Kirk and Spock. (Sigh) I love men with pointed ears. As you can see, Captain Kirk is a stickler for continuity, and nurses in the 23rd century are, too. Unfortunately, the quest for continuity occasionally gets in the way of good patient care. MJ told me once that JCAHO regulations drive her crazy. She’s not alone. Read ERnursey's post musings on illegal abbreviations presented at ERNursey - An ER Nurse's Blog.

Speaking of policies, The Angry Nurse submitted a great post about hospitals and their "no scent policies." Too bad that patients aren't required to follow the same rules. Check out Pepi Le Pew Would be Jealous.



This is Khan. He’s a bad guy and he’s obsessed with getting revenge. He’s been driving us crazy for years. The one positive thing that I can say for the guy is that he is in great shape. Ladies, check out those pects. Khan takes good care of himself when he isn't trying to kill Captain Kirk. He exercises, takes vitamins and follows other health habits that add years to his life. You can learn about these habits too by checking out Amy. S. Quinn's post 50 Tiny Health Habits that Can Save You Big Money (And Add Years) presented at NOEDb: Nursing Online Education Database.

DrRn from Paging Dr. Nurse believes that good health depends on happiness. Check out her post and you will live long and prosper.


Working in Star Fleet is a very rewarding career. It’s all about serving others. As you can see, Spock is very serious about his work. Nurses are also passionate about caring for others. The loco days of locolorenzo presents this moving post about caring for hospice patients.

Jen RN ( Again), EMT-B is reentering the nursing workforce after a 12 year absence from the profession. She is back in school, and wants to become an ER nurse. Jen presents Why ED nursing? Why volunteer as an EMT? posted at RN (again?!) & EMT-B.


Meet Wesley Crusher. He’s a doctor’s son. Dr. Crusher and I have worked together in sickbay. Wesley is a wonderful kid. I don’t know what we would do without young people coming up through the ranks. I love nursing students. They are truly wunderkind. Jacob from Raspberry Blase is a nursing student who has a lot in common with Wesley. He's smart, witty, and is always open for new experiences. Read Jacob's hilarious post, Male Prostitute.

Miss Elainne-ious from The Life and Times of a Longterm Studentwon’t be a student much longer. Read her post about her final shift as a nursing student.

Prisca from N is for Nurse sent in this post about how nursing school programs have changed throughout the years. Prisca’s mom graduated from a three year nursing diploma program. Read what Prisca’s mom told her about nursing school in the “good old days.”

Shrtstormtrooper from Nursing School Insanity: What's A Perineum? writes about a day with her "patient," Ernie. Read her post if you have a strong stomach. You've been warned.

The debate continues! Caroline from Brain Scramble weighs in on the ADN vs BSN debate. I can’t tell you how nurses in the future will resolve this issue due to the prime directive. Sorry.

Poor Captain Kirk. Someone or something was trying to kick his butt. And nurses think their job is tough. Fortunately the Captain had access to advance technology that was able to get him out of trouble. Scientific knowledge and ingenuity can be a great thing, but sometimes it can get us into trouble. Sandy Szwarc from Junkfood Science wants you to know how others might use your genetic information. You may be surprised. Read her post and find out the facts.

Science is saving lives and preventing disease, but is it also creating new illnesses? Katie Bee RN from Young and Restless Nurse discusses the debate surrounding vaccines and autism.


Meet Sarek. He is Spock's father, and an elder statesmen from Vulcan. He's one very logical guy. Elder statesmen and seasoned nurses have one common characteristic. They both have wisdom. Janet from Pixel One, Purl Two has been a nurse for 30 years, and really knows what it take to be a nurse. She received this email the other day. It's only logical that her post will generate a lively discussion.

Nurse Kathy from Nurse Connect writes that wise nurses teach their patients about how to live a healthy lifestyle through example. Read her post, Are You a Good Role Model? Nurse Kathy also writes about the dangers of giving too much to our patients in her post, Compassion Fatigue

Nurse Laura from Nurse Connect passes on some advice that she received from a very wise nurse. Check out her post, Beyond Basic Care: Do We Have the Time?



The crew and I want to thank you for stopping by Change of Shift. I’ve had a lot of fun, and I hope that you did, too. Kim from Emergiblog will be hosting Change of Shift in two week. See you there!

10 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Very well done! The theme was brilliant. Thanks for the morning laugh, and the great selection of links.

7:09 AM  
Blogger None said...

MJ is so funny, live long, prosper and wash your hands, of course.

Katie

9:54 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oh, this totally rocks! : D

I'm sending out the announcement and linking now!

Great job!!!!!!

11:51 AM  
Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

I'd never seen that early post. It explains a lot.... And if you're trying to figure out my tone, I started watching TOS when it was first on TV... and I've been hooked ever since.

1:56 PM  
Blogger overactive-imagination said...

Thanks so much for the shout out MJ. I'm really hoping that somehow.....it will all work out.
Great job on Change of Shift!

Dawn

2:17 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

It was always torn shirts and dead red shirts in the 23rd Century.

A super Quality Post.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for including me, MJ. However, after 30 years I'm not sure I have figured out if I really know what it is to be a nurse or not. My fellow nurse bloggers surprise and enlighten me every day. Today a patient was asking me about my experience and all I could tell her was that I have earned every one of my gray hairs.

9:40 PM  
Blogger L said...

Loved the COS theme, thanks for the mention on it!

12:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the inclusion! This edition rocks!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Amrita said...

I love Star Trek

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home