Nursing Voices

Monday, March 03, 2008

Praise the Lord and Pass the Haldol

Best quote from last weekend:

A nurse was passing out meds when she approached an old man sitting in the dayroom. She said, “Excuse me, Sir. I’m here to give you your Haldol, but first, I need you to tell me your name and your date of birth. The old man responded, “I’m, I’m…I’m THE LORD! And my birthday is July 25th. The nurse said, “Isn't your birthday on December 25th? The Lord was born on Christmas Day, and that's on December 25th.” The old man thought a moment, and then said, “I’m the Lord, so I can change my birthday to anything I want.”

Can I get an Amen!

7 Comments:

Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

I have to say, I agree with the man's logic.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I love conversations with the sweet delusional ones. You never know where you'll end up. Although, if he was there with you, there was probably some not so sweet stuff mixed in too. Thanks for sharing the great quote.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

Brilliant!

3:54 AM  
Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

But can He make a stone so heavy that even He can't lift it?

(That one was usually good to provoke Sister in clobbering the one who asked the question....)

1:46 PM  
Blogger Rollernurse said...

Hilarious. He told her, didn't he?
Where do you get this stuff?

3:05 PM  
Blogger This is Sixty said...

Who am I to question. He really is the Lord.

I love talking to the delusional. They teach us in nursing school not to do that, but you find out the most interesting things.

I had a patient tell me that he used to work on the space shuttle and they erected a statue of him in a nearby town. Just to keep him talking I asked "so what's it like to work on the space shuttle?" I'm sorry. I can't help it. If nothing else, he was cooperative with me and gave everyone else a hard time. I can't write a journal article proving why my technique was effective or how it is effective over time. There are just some things nursing school can't teach you.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

guess god is much smarter huh..had a good laugh!thanks for this nice nurse blog

3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home