Nursing Voices

Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Wallflower and the Beautiful People

I was a wallflower when I was in high school. There are pretty girls, and then there are girls with a “nice personality.” I was the latter. I was sweet sixteen, never kissed, and never…well, you know what I mean. I’m pretty sure that I was the only virgin in my graduating class. The pretty girls in my high school dated the cool guys and ran for homecoming queen. I stayed home on Saturday nights and watched Laurence Welk with my parents. Popularity was out of reach, but I learned to cope, and life went on.


Now I’m having flash backs of high school. Kim from Emergiblog surfed over to Medgadget last week, and nominated Nurse Ratched’s Place as Medical Blog of the Year. I felt like I had just been nominated for homecoming queen. My blog was on an A List with some really popular blogs, and I was hanging out with the cool guys, like Kevin MD. I was so happy, but now my dreams are dashed. The committee that is running the contest has cut my blog from the list of nominees. Where’s my scepter? Where are my flowers? Damn it, I want a crown!



OK, maybe I can’t be homecoming queen, but can someone at least ask me out to the prom?

14 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

You deserve to win Medical Blog of the Year! I pass to you a cyber crown.

Oh yes, the diamonds complement your sparkling eyes.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

That's a real shame, as you deserve more.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

I can't understand the poor decision . You will always have a place in our hearts (amd favourite lists)

2:13 AM  
Blogger Clif Martin said...

Anybody who grew up listening to Lawrence Welk can't be all bad.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Joseph J. Neuschatz M.D. said...

YOU ARE NOT ALONE !

I don't know if it's going to help you to know that the only crown I received during my entire life was of dental origins.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Amrita said...

I enjoy you blog altho I don 't belong to the nursing profession. You deserve many awards Mother Jones

9:35 AM  
Blogger Max said...

Hmmm, it's reverse psychology...
If you spend lots of time on the computer blogging then you must be a nerd (I should know). If you are a nerd, you can not be in with the cool kids, therefore a blogging award is a nerd award and as you didn't win it, you must therefore be cool!

See your beauty shines!!!

Max (never even been nominated I'm sooooo cooool)xx

10:18 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

You are the number one med blog of the year as far as I can see. Then again, I'm just a painter.....

1:51 PM  
Blogger Dr. A said...

You know you're the best blog out there!

I couldn't take the disappointment (I got like 4 votes last year) that I told people specifically NOT to nominate me. Who needs the headache?

8:17 PM  
Blogger Kacey said...

How can they summarily cut you from the list of nominations? I would have voted for you. Shame on them!
When I was in high school, many moons ago, there were three classes of kids --- the queens, the workers and the drones. Queens were on the top tier, homecoming queens, cheerleaders and football players. The workers revolved around the Queens --- building the homecoming float, decorating for the prom, majorettes and generally hanging around and admiring the top tier. The drones were the poor kids who hustled through the halls with their books hugged to their chests. They belonged to the Latin Club, worked in the Library, but didn't even go to the football games unless they were in the band. Looking back, I feel badly that I didn't try harder to befriend a few shy kids---at least learn their names. It's funny --- some of those drones have blossomed into Doctors, Lawyers and Indian Chiefs; whereas, some of the queens work at Walmart and had two kids without marriage. I wrote something in 2006 about my high school prom---perhaps, you will find it a fun read.
http://cookiesoven.blogspot.com/2006/09/thanks-for-memories.html

10:05 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

If I ever won, I'd be too busy looking up for a bucket of pig blood to keep my tiara on...

11:01 PM  
Blogger FetchingGal said...

Be glad you didn't win because something better will come along!!! :)

5:42 PM  
Blogger poody said...

well you are my favorite nursing blog! I am unanimous in that!

10:59 AM  
Blogger DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

MJ,

Good music is hard to find, but there is a list of where not to look for good music that comes out every year.

It's called the Grammy Awards.

Now go buy every record The Pixies ever made and keep writing.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home