Nursing Voices

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thank God For Dirty Dishes, and Other Things That Drive Me Crazy


Fellow nurse blogger, Tammy Swofford, asked me to write a little something about Thanksgiving. She wants to know what people are thankful for, so here it goes:

I’m thankful for a messy house. Living with dust bunnies under a solid roof means that I’m not living out on the street. I’m thankful for a husband that gets underfoot when I’m trying to clean the house. That means that he loves me, and that he would rather be home with me than anywhere else in the entire world. I’m thankful for daughters who drive me crazy. They live away from home, but they still love and trust me enough to tell me all the intimate details of their young lives. That’s the part that drives me crazy. There are some things that a mother doesn’t want to know. I am truly thankful for the many annoyances in my life.



I’m also thankful for dirty dishes. My grandmother cut this poem out of a Kitchen Klatter Magazine when I was a little girl, and taped it on the wall by the kitchen sink. This is what she would read to me while we were washing the dishes.






Thank God For Dirty Dishes (author unknown)


Thank God for dirty dishes, they have a tale to tell,
While others are going hungry, we’re eating very well.
Home, health, and happiness, I shouldn't want to fuss,
With the stack of evidence, God is good to us.



Happy Thanksgiving!

8 Comments:

Blogger ~AprilD said...

Awwe, I've never heard that poem about dirty dishes. And for a girl who hates to do dishes, the poem makes a very good point!

Happy Thanksgiving MJ!

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all. And I just have to say it....Go Cowboys! Finally, we have a team that can remain in the win column this season.

Everyone enjoy the warmth of the season.

10:11 AM  
Blogger My Own Woman said...

Thanks for the poem, I stole it and am putting it up on my refrigerator. Happy Thanksgiving.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Amrita said...

Happy Thanksgiving. I love the poem.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Barbara Kivowitz said...

Love the poem. It reminds me of the saying from Zen master, Thich Nhat Hahn: "Consider washing the dishes the most important thing in your life." He explains that if you can be fully present and mindful while doing something so ordinary like washing the dishes - imagine what you can bring into the rest of your life.

1:07 PM  
Blogger kario said...

Ain't it the truth? I am thankful for a husband who keeps my kids occupied every night while I do the dishes. It's my time to listen to NPR and zone out while they all get crazy together.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Doc's Girl said...

awww...I liked this post a lot. :) Happy Thanksgiving!

12:19 PM  
Blogger ll said...

That is a great poem. I feel the same way;
life would be boring without all of the little annoyances that keep us going!

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home