Nursing Voices

Monday, September 03, 2007

Labor Day Nurse

It’s Labor Day, and Nurse Brigid is at work. Her place of employment is open year-round just like a hospital, and she is ready to give professional nursing care to any worker who might need her help. She is a noble nurse. I grew up believing that every worker in our country is a noble person, and that every act of labor is a beautiful thing. My father and his friends were involved in the early days of the labor movement, so of course, Labor Day was a big event in our household. I remember going down to the local union hall with my dad and sitting on his lap while he and his buddies swapped stories. Mother Jones was a heroine, Samuel Gompers and Jimmy Hoffa were saints, and anyone who crossed a picket line was a scab. I was also taught that anyone willing to work long, hard hours could obtain the American Dream. My father wasn’t a rich man, but he was able to put a roof over my head, food on my plate, and send me to good schools. Unfortunately, times are changing. In celebration of Labor Day, please read Andy Stern’s post, Restoring the Promise of the American Dream. He brings up a lot of good points including information about the health care system.

3 Comments:

Blogger Double R said...

I just have to tell you, I love your blog, I take time out everyday to read it!

10:59 PM  
Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

I read the article and I don't disagree with it. But there's a problem.

The problem? SEIU mainly has municipal workers -- city, county or state -- public employees.

Democratic lawmakers in particular don't want to be seen as anti-union so they've set up a system where a union remnant can hold on to a dream.

But the reality is that unions in private enterprise seem to be about dead. Strikebreakers aren't used anymore... the jobs just vanish overseas. I don't see how unions can fix this.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I too make time to read this blog every day.I love the humor the great writing and the comments.It reminds me how talented nurses are.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home