Nursing Voices

Monday, August 13, 2007

One Dead Under the Cuckoo's Nest

There are days when I feel like this nurse after I'm done working my weekend shifts. No, that’s not me on the cover. I gave up wearing hot pink stilettos a long time ago. They really hurt my feet. I’ll give you three guesses as to why this is my new all-time favorite book, and the first two guesses don’t count. Lori Avocato sent this book to me. She’s the author of One Dead Under The Cuckoo’s Nest. She had a sneaking suspicion that I’d enjoy her book.

The book’s main character, Pauline Sokol, is a former nurse-turned- p.i. who finds herself investigating a sleazy psychiatric insurance fraud scam, but there’s one catch. She is forcibly committed to a mental institution. Pauline is certainly sane, but she can’t get the nuns who run the place to believe her. Even her hunky, crime solving partner Jagger is unwilling to spring her, so she’s got nothing but time to keep digging into the case until it's solved. The book is full of twists and turns including the death of a gender confused “sister.” Nuns? Scams? Sexy crime solving partners? This book is a must read.

As the proprietor of Nurse Ratched’s Place--and who knows more about a Cuckoo's nest than Nurse Ratched-- I give Lori’s book a thumbs up. That a girl, Lori, and keep up the good work!

For more information about One Dead Under The Cuckoo’s Nest and Lori’s other books, check out her website, or click here to read an article about Lori that appeared in Advance for Nurses.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

A very good review... and talk about a natural target audience for her book!

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home