Nursing Voices

Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Good Old Boys and the Damsel in Distress

I’ve always said; if you want to play the damsel in distress card, tell people that you are a nurse.

My 4th of July literally started off with a bang when my back rear tire exploded while I was driving to work. I was on a busy two-lane highway traveling 60 miles an hour when I ran over a nail. Damn nail! The car swerved into oncoming traffic, but I was able to get the car under control, and coasted to the side of the road. I kept my cool until the car stopped, and then I freaked out. Unlike the rest the of civilized world, I don’t own a cell phone, so I was basically screwed. After I calmed down, I decided it was best to keep limping down the side of the road on my rim and look for help.

Less than a mile down the road I saw a big white farmhouse with rows of pickup trucks appointed with gun racks parked in the front yard. I noticed a group of men mulling around a barbeque grill, so I pulled off the road into the driveway and walked up to the gathering of good old boys who were guzzling their 4th of July beer. I had a feeling this was going to be my lucky day.

Me: “Good afternoon gentlemen. I’m sorry to intrude on your party, but I’m a nurse going to Hospital X, and I have a flat tire.” I smiled while pointing to my hospital ID that I was wearing on my sweater and I said, “Can one of you gentlemen help me out?”

Good Old Boy #1: “Shoot little lady, you’re a nurse?” Everyone jumped to their feet. “We’ll be glad to help you out. Come on guys. Someone throw me another can of beer and let’s go!”

While I was standing around watching my newly acquired pit crew of slightly tipsy men change my tire, Good Old Boy #2 brought me a hot dog off the grill and a diet soda. He apologized for not bringing me a beer, but he said he knew I couldn’t drink because I was going to work. He said that he and his wife really appreciate the nursing care they always receive at Hospital X, and that he and his friends were really happy that they could help out a nurse. The good old boys changed my tire in less than twenty minutes, and I was back on the road again.

I’m writing this post from my Toyota dealership while I wait for my new tire to be mounted on the car. The old tire is DOA. I’ve gotten the word that buying a new tire is going to be an expensive proposition. Too bad the Toyota mechanic wasn’t at yesterday’s picnic, because everyone, especially drunken good old boys, love nurses.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right - people do love nurses, and, if given the opportunity, will show it. This was their way of paying back. Lucky you!

Great flow - loved the story!

7:05 PM  
Blogger FetchingGal said...

Nice to see that some people like nurses these days. Glad you got a new tire. Safety is no. 1! ;-p

9:02 PM  
Blogger Labor Nurse, CNM said...

I've rarely had a bad response to the reply, "I'm a nurse." I say use it to your advantage!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Unemployed Nurse Jack said...

Great story - I could almost taste the apple pie!

Sorry to hear about the expensive new tire.

10:36 AM  
Blogger poody said...

Whoa! Good thing you didn't crash! I had a nurse come in the office yesterday who had a blow out too on a flyby you know one of those really high overpasses! She said she got a state trooper to change it for you! Service people stick together! I play that nurse card too! Use what ya got I always say!

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good reason to get one of them newfangled iPhones :-)

4:33 PM  
Blogger rlbates said...

So sorry about your flat, but so glad those "good old boys" helped you! By the way, I love your blog. I love the pictures and old books you find and share.

6:34 PM  
Blogger My Own Woman said...

I loved your story. It's nice to be appreciated, and it's nice to see others being appreciated it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always seem like "us nurses" are liked all the time; but it's time like these, when the good ole boys show who the real gentlemen are!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Forgotten Blue Line said...

Your car did that out of spite. Name him something else ;) Also read my blog, I give out a little secret and I already sent it in for change of shift so everyone will know.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

it's refreshing to know there is actually a profession in america that the blue collar crew respects enough to help.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Roy said...

If it was a male nurse who had the flat in the good old boys' driveway, I don't think the response would have been similar. I think the fact that you were "a nurse" had little to do with it.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad was a lieutenant on the Highway Patrol - that never got me out of a ticket (surprise!).

What did get me out of a ticket was being pulled over in my uniform and the officer realizing I was a nurse.

"Be careful out here!"

Yes, sir! : )

7:26 PM  
Blogger Amrita said...

BABGO story Mother Jones.Glad you met your Don Qxiotes

11:08 PM  
Blogger 911DOC said...

lots of good folks around. bless 'em.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Lea said...

I thoroughly enjoyed that story! I be those boys talked about coming to your rescue for the rest of their drunken night.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

HA! That's too funny :-) Looking a lot like a well-respected nurse in the community has gotten me out of 2 speeding tickets in the past! I don't confirm or deny being "that nurse from the regional hospital." I just smile and apologize for not realizing I was speeding.

(I no longer speed so hope this confusion won't happen again ;-)

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home