Nursing Voices

Friday, March 30, 2007

The Doctors Are In

This is my favorite Rolling Stone magazine cover. Yes, I enjoy reading Rolling Stone magazine. I may have gray hair and wrinkles, but I’m a hip old broad.

I'm sure that some of you hate Howard Dean, the originator of the “Dean Scream,” and the current chairman of the Democratic National Committee, but before you start throwing tomatoes at me, let me tell you why I’m so fond of this cover. Ready? There’s a DOCTOR on the cover of this magazine! Now that’s newsworthy. Go Howard!




Did you know that there are doctors and nurses serving in Congress? My favorite doctor currently serving in the House of Representatives is Jim McDermott, a psychiatrist from Washington. I think we need more psychiatrists working on the Hill, but I digress. Representative McDermott re-introduced a bill last month that would improve access to health care. He said, "Access to affordable health care coverage is the single biggest domestic crisis facing America today. The health care crisis gets worse every day and, because of it, more Americans get hurt every day." He is also a cosponsor of a bill that would create the Office of the National Nurse. Thank you, Dr. McDermott.



Another doctor working on the Hill is Senator Tom Coburn, a family practice doctor from Oklahoma. He just introduced a bill that would also improve access to health care. In a recent press release, Dr. Coburn said, “Americans are tired of out of control medical costs, gatekeepers blocking access to the doctors they want to see, being denied coverage of medically necessary care, and health plans that they don’t understand. This bill addresses all of these problems and does so without creating new government programs or bureaucracies. In fact, this bill removes government and insurance bureaucrats from the doctor’s office by providing patients with federal tax rebates that will ensure that every American can purchase the health care coverage that best meets their medical needs.”


Dr. McDermott is a Democrat and Dr. Coburn is a Republican. Doctors from both parties are promoting health care legislation on Capitol Hill. We need more doctors and nurses in Congress.





We also need more doctors on magazine covers.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

From one hip old broad to another - no matter what I think of Howard Dean the politician, Howard Dean the doctor is rather attractive! : D

Isn't Lois Capps an RN?

I agree with the need for more psych docs on the Hill! LOL! And if there has ever been an issue that crosses party lines and BEGS for bipartisan support, it's healthcare.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sen. Bill Frist is a surgeon, but me thinks he's spent too much time as an administrator to be helpful.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Mother Jones RN said...

Hi Kim...

You're right. Lois Capps is an RN and the sponsor of many important nursing bills including the National Nurse Act. She is a wonderful lady.

Now about Dr. Dean. Yep, he's a cutie;-)

MJ

9:27 PM  
Blogger 911DOC said...

dear mother jones,
if you can get me elected then i'll gladly add my pic to the cover of the rolling stone. isn't that an old song?

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

I was passing by and your site caught my eye :O)

Nice blog !

See you,
Mark.

9:14 AM  
Blogger The Angry Medic said...

I think we need more psychiatrists working on the Hill, but I digress.

Ouchies. Touche!

The new season of Doctor Who begins today...in ONE HOUR, in fact. I'm so excited I can't even hold these neuro notes!

12:51 PM  
Blogger Katie Schwartz said...

hip old broad? FABULOUS! hip indeed. broad most definitely. old? nevah!

very insightful post!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

What? Did I forget Dr Who was on yesterday?

8:40 AM  
Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

We need more people in Congress who have jobs to go home to, medical or otherwise.

I don't know how it is for doctors or nurses... but for lawyers it's onerous as all get out. I remember running into a downstate lawyer at a function one night many years ago after his partner had been elected to Congress and offered my congratulations.

He almost spit in my eye: He had to change all the firm letterhead, eliminate any reference to the congressman-elect... and it was a special election... at tax season... and the departing partner did the firm's tax work. This guy was at wits' end -- and this wasn't because he had anything against the ex-partner... it was to keep from violating federal law....

We'd be better off if we had fewer restrictions on outside income for Congresspeople (maybe lawyers shouldn't practice in Federal court -- but only maybe -- think John Quincy Adams and the Amistad case) -- but I'll stop now before I have to get up on my soapbox.

And, yes, by all means we should elect Dr. Who... to something....

11:46 PM  
Blogger DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Unrepentant Deaniac here. You messed up America when you chose not to put this man in the Oval Office.

Having said that, If I were sick, I'd probably rather go to the Mrs. Doctor Dean. I'll bet Howie has let his continuing medical education slide a bit while trying to breathe some life into our party.....

2:23 AM  
Blogger LicensedToILL said...

I may not be a hip old broad (I'm a young cool dude) but that picture of Dr. Who activating his sixth sense is about the greatest picture I've ever seen. Seriously, it's so profoundly funny you have blown my mind.

Thanks for making my day!

BTW: I'm considering a run for congress, well, after I get out of nursing school and pay off my credit cards.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

There is that saying...if you don't like it change it...and that change has to come from within...so you are so right we need more medical practioners in government to force change....

It's just a long time coming....I still truly can't understand why people are so afraid of change...can't they see that what they have or don't have isn't working!

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home