Nursing Voices

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A Cold Valentine's Day



Hi everyone, and happy Valentine's Day. I hope you're keeping warm. What a miserable day. It's cold, wet, the roads are slick with ice, trees are down, and the power is out. And of course, the hospital called. "Hi Mother Jones RN, we love you sooooo much, we're willing to come to your home, and pick you up for work. We know you worked your butt off last weekend, and that it's your day off, but will you come in oh valued employee?" I declined their generous offer. It's too dangerous to be out on the roads, even in a 4 wheel drive truck.


There are two Valentine's Day rules you must remember if you know a nurse. The first rule is about candy. Don't get between a nurse and a box of chocolates. I promise you that things will get ugly if you take the last piece of candy without permission.




The second rule is about flowers. Gentlemen, if you want to make points with a nurse, send her roses when she is at work. The delivery of a dozen long stemmed red roses causes sheer pandemonium at the nurses station. The nurse receiving the flowers will be the envy of every other nurse on the unit, and you will be well "rewarded" for your thoughtfulness. And remember, if the nurse of your dreams is allergic to flowers, diamonds are always an excellent gift.


I have to run now, it's time to throw another log on the fire.

15 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

Happy Valentine's Day Mother Jones!

I am so glad that you decided to actually take your day off.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this. A friend of mine who is a nurse is always approached with these kind 'offers' to work more shifts. You did the right thing! Happy day by the fire.

10:44 AM  
Blogger SQT said...

Happy Valentines Day!

Oh, and trust me, you don't have to be a nurse to appreciate roses sent to work. I don't know a single woman who doesn't melt when those flowers arrive.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Bo... said...

The answering machine definitely comes in handy on those days off when you want to "screen" calls, heh!

1:32 PM  
Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

Caller ID is one of mankind's greatest inventions....

1:44 PM  
Blogger Gene Bach said...

Way cool pictures!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

YOu are so on the money on this one....Of course we love chocolates...not sure why...we just do...and as for the flowers being delivered to work...that is the best and only time I really like getting flowers...it makes me feel that extra special...he knows it..and it rewarded...

5:37 PM  
Blogger AzRN said...

How true about a nurse and chocolates. In my office, I am the keeper of the chocolate drawer :D It is my middle desk drawer.

I have made a deal with the keeper of the coffee who works across the hall from me.....

Happy Valentine's Day

12:03 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

i agree about the caller id. even my kids know not to answer certain calls on mom's night off. let voice mail pick up.
lol
and the flowers is oh so true.....my darling hubs has done this and yes, he has been well rewarded. perhaps that is why he has done this on occasion.

12:02 PM  
Blogger poody said...

As usual, you are right on the money honey!Of course, don't forget the gift every nurse wants and loves... foot rub!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Hope you had a really good Valentine's Day!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Every time flowers are delivered every female nurse runs to see who they are for! : D

Sounds like a cliche, but it's true!

Maybe one day they'll be for me...

(In that weather, I wouldn't leave the house for Harrison Ford! I'd invite him in, though!)

8:37 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Sounds like you enjoyed your Valentine's Day, MJ.

You certainly can't come between a nurse and her chocolates. Unfortunately, we have a new Health Service Manager who has decided that to be fair to all, she will keep all the chocolates that are given to staff in return for the excellent health care that they have provided in her office....and distribute them evenly to all staff in little paper bags (with their name on it)over a period of time, so that staff on all shifts (nursing only, not the hospitality staff, who are actually held in high esteem at our hospital) have their fair share of chocolate. There was a bit of a glut of choccies over the period leading up tp Christmas, so she saved them and put them on the table at the staff Christmas afternoon tea. This did not make her manager of the year.....

No flowers or choccies for me this year....

Glad to see you're making occupational health and safety a high priority MJ :0)

7:38 AM  
Blogger Iris said...

I so completely agree about the chocolate.......and the roses if they are from someone you love.

My ex brought roses to the hospital back at the beginning of December in a last ditch effort to get me back......that was NOT so well received by me or my co-workers.

12:13 PM  
Blogger DrugsReporter said...

Just stumbled across your site from a link from Drug Monkey. Any chance you could add a link to my page?

http://consultantrph.blogspot.com/

Thanks!
ConsultantRPh

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home