Nursing Voices

Friday, January 05, 2007

Pauline Sokol: Detective Nurse

What do you get when you cross a former nurse who has long sultry legs with a detective agency that investigates insurance fraud? You get Pauline Sokol, detective extraordinaire. Pauline Sokol is the creation of author, Lori Avocato who has also worked as a nurse.

In her newest addition to the Pauline Sokol mystery series, Nip, Tuck, Dead, the sassy ex-nurse-turned-medical insurance fraud investigator’s latest case goes beyond skin deep when she goes undercover at a plastic surgery spa for the rich and powerful.

In her latest case Sokol investigates cosmetic surgery fraud in Newport Rhode Island, the surgical playground for the rich and famous, by assuming the role of a private duty nurse, but what she needs is a suitable patient to attend to. Luckily, her best friend and colorful co-worker “Goldie” is a flamboyant cross dresser who jumps at the chance for a nose job. During her time undercover, Pauline uses her astute nursing powers of observation and her critical thinking skills to escape from the jaws of death, solve a murder case, and put a few shady characters behind bars. It just goes to prove once a nurse, always a nurse. Bravo, Nurse Sokol!

This is a great book for those who like a quick read. I finished the book cover-to-cover in two evenings while my husband was busy watching televised football games. I can’t wait to read Lori’s book, One Dead Under the Cuckoo's Nest. I want to see what kind of trouble she uncovers on a psych unit.

16 Comments:

Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

You mention the televised football games with just the slightest hint of disdain?

31 bowl games down, one to go.

Maybe Nurse Sokol will provide clues to help you find the perfect doctor....

6:30 PM  
Blogger Bo... said...

Sounds like a good read!

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is sort of a confession:

i've always thought that you do not actually read the books you post here. i thought you just sort of discuss stories based on the cover pictures, because they are just pictures you get from the internet, and not actual books that you have.

silly me:)

11:06 PM  
Blogger The Angry Medic said...

I think she does a bit of both, May. Though I think the cover pics are only of books she can't get, or has yet to get around to reading :)

3:56 AM  
Blogger Deacon Barry said...

High heels and tight skirt? What kind of uniform is that?

7:45 AM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Nurse Sokel sounds like a good creation.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful review. I actually write the Pauline Sokol Mystery series. As a nurse, I wanted to use what I know to entertain and most importantly put a smile on the face of those of us who work/worked in such a stressful job. It's fiction but based on reality and hopefully entertaining enough to make you all laugh! Lori Avocato

7:00 PM  
Blogger Bo... said...

WOW---the author herself left a comment! That is so neat!

9:52 PM  
Blogger apgaRN said...

Amazing... Lori in your comments! Thanks for the reading suggestion.
N

6:14 PM  
Blogger AtYourCervix said...

Wowee! You even got a comment from the author of the book! High five Mother Jones!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Kentucky Rain said...

Ah! A nurse detective. Just my thing. After 30+ years in law enforcement I never met the like so I will settle for the vicarious thrill, complete with tight white skirt of course:-)

I know! I know! How sexist of me! Guilty!

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think she DOES read those books. :P if she's anything like me, that is! I go through about 3-4 books on average a week (of course errr...ahem, some of those are textbooks as I am studying to become an RN). However, a lot of Star Trek and Agatha Christie, Mary Stewart and Harlequin Romances work their way into my repretoire!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Iris said...

I am so thinking these books are right up my alley. I am going to go find them in the bookstore and give them a go.

1:32 AM  
Blogger SQT said...

I love the covers on those books, they look fun too.

How cool is it the author also chimed in?

7:28 PM  
Blogger Mother Jones RN said...

Hey, Lori, thanks for stopping by. Can I get you to autograph my book?

MJ

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home