Nursing Voices

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Runaway Nurse

Have you ever thought about running away from a job, never to return again? If you have, you’re not alone. Let’s look a Nurse Stowell’s case and see why she’s running away.

“For Nurse Jennifer Stowell, flight seemed the only solution. After the scandal involving her with the head of the Octagon Hospital, Jenny fled to the peaceful beaches of Hawaii, hoping to escape the gossip, the whispers and the pointing fingers. No one, it seemed, had believed her innocent.

But on the smooth sands of Waikiki, handsome Dr. Brain Craig fell in love with Jenny. And Jenny, knowing all too well the damage that malicious gossip can do to the career of a promising young doctor, had to run again—this time from the arms of the man she loved.”

How will a determined young doctor—bent on marrying Jennifer in spite of herself—bring out the truth of an old scandal while saving the woman he loves? If he’s smart he’ll figure it out. Jennifer must have a lot on her mind. It’s hard being the subject of malicious gossip while being pursued by a rich and handsome doctor.

There are all kinds of reasons why nurses run away from a job. Sometimes they run away because they are the subjects of malicious gossip. Nurses have been gossiping since the days of Florence Nightingale, and it’s degrading to the profession. Nurses also leave jobs because they feel that their employers are exploiting them. Employers can mandate nurses to work 16-hour shifts and many hospitals have been accused of using forced overtime to fill holes in staffing schedules. Many other nurses leave the profession altogether because they are tired of not being able to give the kind of care they want to give to their patients. And then there are nurses who leave the profession because they get married and live happily ever after. Some girls have all the luck. I’ve been thinking about leaving nursing because I’m getting too old to deflect punches when someone is out of control and is trying to hit me.

I plan to run away from my job just as soon as I hit the Lotto Jackpot. But then again like the old saying goes, once a nurse, always a nurse.

14 Comments:

Blogger Bo... said...

Yes, I thought about running away for years, and I finally did it---which is why I'm a small town home health RN these days. I left the big cities and the ER/ICU's behind--and put myself out to pasture. (My own blog started in this self-imposed exile....) I'll probably never leave my Podunk--I've become too addicted to small town life--and buttermilk pie.

11:10 AM  
Blogger poody said...

I tok a course back in the 80's fro bartending. I had decided I didn't want to be a nurse. I worked as a bartender for awhile but the problem with that is everyone but you is drinking and getting drunk. I would love to run away but truthfully I don't know what else I could do and make the money I make now. Besides I finally found a niche for myself in Home health. What a difference it has made. I love it! well... most days. I mean hey even a good job ain't nothing but work!

11:57 AM  
Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

I've been running away from work -- here to the Blogosphere -- for nearly a year now.

It's cheaper, in a way, than buying Lotto tickets.

And just as likely to make me rich and famous.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I should get some work done while I'm here after all....

1:16 PM  
Blogger Cain said...

So good to see you again!

I'm back, here at Blogger(beta version..we'll see.)

I'm glad you're still presenting some great "old" reads..Nurses are not only needed, they're amusing too, at timess (LOL!)

Come say "HI"...Hope your Thanksgiving was Super.

xx,adam.

2:21 PM  
Blogger kate loving shenk said...

hi mj,

as the old saying goes, better to face your demons than run away from them--because that which we run from is something needing work from within ourselves--

that's where i'm at, anyway--

peace (of mind)

kate loving shenk

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and I thought I was the only one who wanted to run away today LOL! Ce la vie. Bohemian, I was thinking about going to home health also. At least the pace is a lot slower, and you have much more hands on with your patient then in a hospital or nursing home. That is the best part of the job, hands on. I HATE paperwork wahhh.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I'd run, but they'd find me, and just put me back on night shift with the sundowners and the orderlies who are not allowed to touch the patients. And I'd hate to think the fate of that young nurse is in the hands of a doctor: unless he's got great nurses working for him feeding him the solutions, she's hosed.

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll run away when i win the lottery. i better start buying tickets then :)

1:37 AM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

We all would like to run away from our jobs!

9:55 AM  
Blogger jbwritergirl said...

Running away usually leaves me breathless, so I choose to walk away most of the time. LOL

11:54 AM  
Blogger apgaRN said...

Oh, to run away!
I think the same thing about the Lotto, but I hear it's difficult to win if you don't buy a ticket.
Darn.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Deacon Barry said...

Excuse me, but I like my job! Sure it gets busy sometimes (Wednesday comes to mind) but I'm working with a great bunch of people, and I enjoy being with them. I for one will not be running away.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

Thank you for dropping by and for leaving such supportive comment. I appreciate it!

All the best,
Andrew ("To Love, Honor and Dismay")

6:45 PM  
Blogger Iris said...

Oh, I have dreamed of running away.... away from nursing all together at times. The stress, the bureaucracy, the backbiting, .... it all takes its toll. But I stay, for the money...for my kids, for my patients who I feel deserve a non-judgemental smiling face, no matter what their condition or life choices might be

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home