Nursing Voices

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Confessions of a Closet Trekkie



Boldly Going Where No Man—or Nurse—Has Gone Before

Spock had pointed ears, Kirk was a ladies man (he also liked hot alien chicks), and McCoy was a kindly country doctor. Then there was Nurse Chapel. Like nurses around the galaxy, Nurse Chapel could do anything. Every week the crew of the USS Enterprise found themselves in danger, but no matter what happened, Nurse Chapel always delivered superb patient care.

Nurse Chapel is my Starfleet role model. She was a loyal coworker, so I’m sure she didn’t engage in lateral violence against other nurses on the Enterprise. That’s one of my pet peeves. Nurses aren’t going to get ahead as a profession until we stop beating each other up. And because she was so dedicated to the welfare of her patients, she obviously worked promoting galactic legislation that improved access to health care for all life forms. Too bad Spock, a Vulcan who squelched his emotions, couldn’t appreciate Nurse Chapel’s attributes. Poor Nurse Chapel. She really loved Spock, but a relationship with the guy just wasn’t in the cards.

One day I hope to be a super nurse just like Nurse Chapel. In preparation for becoming the perfect nurse, I am watching all six Star Trek televisions series, containing a total of 726 episodes, and all ten Star Trek movies. I am also reading hundreds of Star Trek novels, and learning how to play Star Trek video and computer games. Oh yes, there’s one more thing. I wonder how I would look as a blond.

Beam me up Scotty. I’ve got a lot of work to do.

12 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! I found you through your comment on Emergiblog. Consider yourself linked. I'm an old Trekkie, too.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

And then she went on to become Deanna Troi's mother!

You bet I'm a Trekker!

The tension between Nurse Chapel and Spock was palpable through LIGHT YEARS!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Confession:

Deep Space NIne - blech
Voyager - blech

Enterprise - Scott Bakula, in a Starfleet uniform? That man could generate enough hormones in a female to stop menopause in its tracks.

And Picard? Ooooooo....don't get me even STARTED. He was bald when bald wasn't cool. He MADE it cool!

Kirk was too much like....my....dad...and...he....always....killed..women...by...kissing....them...

9:55 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oh dear, I hit the send button when I wrote that last post..

I meant the women who he kissed always died, but he reminded me of my dad in that he had an air of authority.

Sorry dad......

9:56 PM  
Blogger Mother Jones RN said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Mother Jones RN said...

Yeah, with Kirk it was hug em, love em, and watch them die. Most men with that kind of track record would give up women, but not Kirk. He never gave up. That a boy, Jim.
And Picard, oh yeah. He's hot, and his voice is very sexy. I melt everytime I heard him say, "Make it so."

Prrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks for welcoming me to the blogosphere.

11:54 PM  
Blogger DK said...

Now here's some trivia

Somewhere on the timeline between the TV series and the First movie, Nurse chapel went to medical school.

When McCoy comes on board the Enterprise for the first time he tells Kirk "...Chapel's an MD now!"

10:12 AM  
Blogger PaedsRN said...

'Kirk' is much better in Boston Legal :)

4:22 PM  
Blogger #1 Dinosaur said...

She actually was a brunette; the blond was a wig.

She's also the computer's voice on TNG and beyond. Of course what do you expect; she married the creator/producer.

I just heard a radio interview with George Takei (Sulu.) (He's gay, btw.) They asked him if he'd ever bought a ticket or anything on PriceLine. He said he didn't think the spokesman was trustworthy enough.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Shig said...

Oh, Nurse Chapel. It seems like every high school boyfriend I had was in love with her.

And I'm a fool for Picard-and I'm not ashamed to admit it. But I loved voyager too.

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 99% sure Chapel got her doctorate in nursing, not an MD. Which makes her even cooler. :-)

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home